Monday, May 5, 2014

Debbie's Quick Teaching Tips #3

A Rhyme for Upset Young Children

This is an idea that had a MAJOR impact on my teaching of young children. Since introducing this rhyme, I have not had one crying child upset because they did not get the one (instrument/toy/item/scarf...) that they wanted.
Magic? No, but it works like magic.
Ready - here it comes:

"You get what you get 
And you don't get upset."

Yes - that is all - and that is IT!

My students all chant that when I am about to give something out where they do not have the choice. If someone starts to complain, they all quote that rhyme, we all smile and disaster is averted!
I would like to thank my source, but I can't recall where I learnt it - if it is you - thank you so much, from the bottom of my heart, you have made my teaching life easier!
(I have been told by several parents that this rhyme has crept into their homes - it helps there too apparently!) 

This idea first made its appearance in the September edition of my monthly newsletter. Click here and fill in your details on the right hand side of the page to subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment