Debbie's Quick Teaching Tip #21
Let's make the most of your repertoire!
- Sing - with gentle, soft voices.
- Sing while rocking soft toys to sleep.
- Sing with the whole class, half class, small group, pairs and individuals.
- Sing in canon, two beats apart is very easy and not very interesting, one beat apart sound fabulous.
- Play on two chime bars
- Play on the black notes of a piano. Pick any two that have a big gap between them. (obviously we are not playing at the pitch written here)
- Play on xylophones/glockenspiels.
- Sing while pointing to beat icons
- Sing while walking the beat
- Sing in rhythm names (if known)
- Sing tas and inner hear the ti tis and visa versa
- Derive the Rhythmic pattern on the board
- Write the rhythmic pattern with paddle pop sticks
- Write the rhythmic pattern with paddle pop sticks on paper plates representing the beat
- Half class sing first beat of each bar, other half sing the second beat of each bar. Try to connect the sounds and make a lovely song.
- Sing in solfa (if known)
- Sing with the words 'high' and 'low' before s and m are made conscious
- Sing with the high note and low note in different parts of your body. (Head and shoulders, shoulders and waist...)
- Sing s and inner hear the m and visa versa
- Sing with dynamics. Discuss suitability of piano or pianissimo for this song.
- Walk the beat in a circle and sing the song three times, the second time sing with inner-hearing. (out loud, inner-hearing, out loud)